Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pumpkin French Toast


I truly believe fresh is always better.  That being said, I would rather stump my toe on hot coals than try to puree a pumpkin again.  An old roommate and I had a go at making pumpkin pie from scratch several years ago. That pie remains on my top 10 list of the worst things I have ever eaten.  So, the following recipe is super easy and uses canned pumpkin.  French toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods and is so easy to make.  This made a small batch for two or three people (6-8 slices of toast)

Pumpkin French Toast

Makes 8 slices

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
  bread (I used white, but wheat works as well)
  ¼ cup pureed pumpkin
  ½ cup milk
  2 eggs
  ½ teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
  ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  Maple syrup

Directions:
  1.  Grease a skillet with butter and bring to medium heat
  2.  Whisk together your eggs, milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg
  3.  Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture, make sure the bread is covered and move to skillet
  4.  Cook on medium heat until the egg is fully cooked, look for a light brown color before flipping (approximately 3-4 minutes on each side).
Notes:
   French toast can  be easily saved for later by freezing it between sheets of parchment paper and reheated by toaster or microwave. 


1 comment: