Thursday, March 5, 2015

Vegetable Pot Pie for 2

Temperatures outside have gone from the upper 60's to the mid 30's in the past 12 hours.  Yesterday I was out running in shorts and a tank and today, I'm cuddled up with a blanket.  The weather has been crazy to say the least.  While I generally love winter and enjoy the cooler weather, I'm over it, as is, I believe, the rest of the country.  However, as I have no control over the weather, all that's left to do is to eat good food and try to stay warm.  I feel like I've been living off of carbs and warm soups since the start of winter, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. This simple pot pie recipe has become a super easy go to. So, grab your vegetables and get ready! 


Vegetable Pot Pie for 2
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
 
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
1 clove minced garlic
3/4 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
3/4 cup portobella mushrooms, chopped
3/4 cup potato, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 cup broth
1/4 cup milk
1 cup peas
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg yolk 
Or just use a pre-made 

Directions:
  1. Saute onion and garlic in oil  for 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat.  
  2. Add celery, carrots and mushrooms and reduce heat to medium. Cook another 6-8 minutes. 
  3. Add potatoes and stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes while stirring.  
  4. Add broth and milk and stirs until the mixture just comes to a boil and thickens. 
  5. Reduce heat to low and fold in peas, herbs and salt and pepper
  6. Roll the dough out thinly and line the small casserole dish; use a fork to poke holes along the bottom. Fill with vegetables and broth and cover with the remaining rolled out dough. 
  7. Whisk the egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water and a dash of salt.  Brush the mixture over the dough and between the layers of dough. Cut a few holes across the top to vent.
  8. Bake 30-35 minutes
  9. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Chicken pot pie is my all time favorite comfort food. I will have to make a vegetable one next!

    ReplyDelete